Friday, October 5, 2012

Step Family

There's a bit of a running (or stepping, I should say) joke at the Bill house. Apparently, whenever I walk upstairs from the basement (where I live), I either let out a long anguished groan or I shout something like, "Oh my thiiiighs!" I didn't realize I did this a lot until last week, when I noisily thumped upstairs and found Mike and Rachael cracking up as I walked into the living room. Rachael finds it hilarious that even though I work out every day and come home all smiles from classes, the second I hit the thirteen steps leading to the main floor, it sounds like I'm being tortured. This is one of those strange moments that I think of whenever anyone asks me if I feel like I've got lots of energy now that I'm working out regularly. I think that a person's energy is a lot like money in that you will make it readily available for the things that you want, but find that it's in short supply for what you need. Case in point: My two favorite classes are Zumba and Cardio Sculpt and when they occur on the same day, I will somehow make them both happen. Of course, I'll wake up the next morning and the staircase will turn into Everest.

So you can imagine my joy when my friends Dar, Sue, and Sam encouraged me to go to Step class with them on Thursday. It's the only evening class of Chrissy's that I have not yet tried. And I'm going be perfectly frank with you about this one: I really didn't see much appeal to Step. Of course, I really didn't think much of Spin when I first started, either (again, sorry Lucas). The difference with Spin, though, is that while the bike may be stationary, there's still that sentimental "E.T." association whenever I wrap my pudgy digits around the handlebars; when I'm pedaling really hard, or double-timing, I sometimes like to pretend I'm escaping the evil government officials that are trying to steal my alien pet.

I had no such sentiment towards Step. When I told the ladies I would go to the class with them, I decided to do a little reconnaissance. Mainly, Jensen and I stood outside the classroom door and peered in at a Step class in progress. By the way, when I reference the steps themselves, just refer to the picture below. They're basically long rectangular hunks of plastic that sit upon square plastic risers. Anyway, I watched as about fifteen women moved in unison around the steps as Chrissy called out moves or numbers. It kind of reminded me of square dancing, except that there were no partners or dosey-do's. Jensen and I exchanged skeptical looks and walked on by. I tried to not think too much about my impending Step class, but I was pretty intimidated. It's one thing to dance around on a level floor for a Zumba class, but when you start adding rectangular obstacles that you have to climb, hop, or skip around, things start getting tricky. That said, I was still determined to keep my commitment and go to Step the following Thursday night. Sometimes you just have to look at exercise as you would an arranged marriage; it may not appear a desirable situation on the outset, but perhaps with time and a positive attitude, love will follow.

Wednesday's Cardio Sculpt class definitely gave me a false sense of security, though. When I walked into the class, there were steps arranged in a large circle. I was both happy and relieved by this sight. All week I kept wondering why there wasn't an introductory level step class for the coordinationally-challenged such as myself. When I saw that Cardio Sculpt that week was going to be like a baby Step class, I shook my head at God's sense of comedic timing. On the downside, that particular Cardio Sculpt class was seriously painful; it was very lunge/squat intensive and my thighs were about to burst into flame. I left that class feeling exhausted, sore, but sort of ready to take on Super Step the next day.

Super Step class was almost nothing like Cardio Sculpt class (which my friend Sam gently informed me right before SS started).  Both classes definitely favored the squats and lunges, but Super Step is all about maintaining a rhythm through footwork. Before the class began, I set up my step in the back behind my friend, and experienced stepper, Sue. It was actually kind of cute, really, because there were about five of my gym buddies all clustered together behind the punching bags; it looked like they were protecting my inexperienced steps from Chrissy's line of vision. This might have worked if there hadn't been about 50 feet of empty space surrounding us (and if Chrissy didn't have hawk eyes that notice everything). Chrissy, uh, gently, requested that we spread out more, which we did, and then the music started. That first class was not unlike my first Zumba class, all things said. I did my best to follow what was going on, I looked at Chrissy's fast paced moves with bewildered awe, and I spent most of the class totally lost in the blur of synchronised movements. Also, I could not stop cracking up at my sad attempts to memorize the steps (God only knows what Chrissy was thinking). The ladies surrounding me were stepping, turning, and jumping in a perfect, albeit complicated harmony. I just kept thinking, "Don't fall. Don't fall. Don't fall. Don't fall. Don't fall." When a girl across the room actually did fall over her step I had this unChrist-like moment where I thought, "YES!!! IT WASN'T ME! Oh thanks to be God, someone else fell first." I know that's a terrible thing to think, but that girl was skinny and an experienced Stepper; there is absolutely no graceful way for a fat girl to fall over, and I have a terrible habit of cackling loudly at myself in awkward moments. After that, I had a smidge more confidence and I managed to see the class through to the end. And you know what? I actually liked it! When it was all over, Chrissy congratulated me on my first Step class and then the whole classed clapped and cheered me on. They even took a picture (see below) to commemorate the occasion.

Lidia, Sam, Sue, Lisa, Me, Dar, Chrissy, Chrissy's Step
This picture was to commemorate Angela's First Step, which is like Baby's First Step, only more awesome

I feel like I sound like a broken record whenever I gush about my classes, my gym family, and my instructors. Maybe I am. You just really need to understand that up until a year ago, every memory that I ever had involving gym classes, and even steps for that matter, has been negative. I actually once had a gym teacher make fun of the way my body fat moved when I did jumping jacks, for God's sake. I don't say these things to invoke your pity or your sympathy, I just want you to understand where I am now. I feel as though this past year has been one of redemption; redeeming the views I once had about "gym" people but, most importantly, the views I once had about my body. I joined Jersey Fitness accepting the possibility that I might be judged and possibly alienated by the other members. I did not expect these people, who have only known me less than a year, to be like a second family to me. When I look at all these photos that I post on this blog, I am most proud of the ones where I'm part of a group. I look at those pictures and know that in that particular moment of documented victory, I was encouraged 100% of the way.

Super Step Review:
I started out thinking like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDmkhhJWKU8

Now, it's almost as awesome as this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay6GjmiJTPM



 

No comments:

Post a Comment